Choosing the right cosmetology school can be very stressful! A lot goes into a decision like this and we want to help you make the best decision for you! At Hays Academy of Hair Design, with schools in Hays and Salina, Kansas, we understand that we may not be the right fit for everyone; however, that doesn’t mean we don’t want to help. Here are the 5 C’s we see important in choosing the right cosmetology school for you!
1. Cost: Oftentimes people want to discount the importance of total cost. Some even believe that if a school is more expensive it must mean a better education. That couldn’t be further from the truth in some cases. Make sure the total cost is in relation to what you are getting in return. At Hays Academy, we call this the R.O.I.(Return On Investment). You should yield a return on your education investment. Make sure you don’t overpay for what you are getting! Feel free to compare our prices, we are confident you will be glad you did!
2. Culture: This is such an important factor in choosing the right school. Does this school offer the positive culture I am looking for? The best way to learn this is by taking a campus visit, spend time with the students and interview graduates. Look for online reviews about the school from a students perspective. Take a look at what the school stands for and believes in. At Hays Academy, we have 10 fundamental Core Values that we stand firm on. Come in and check us out!
3. Curriculum: This is where the rubber meets the road. If you have researched cosmetology schools in Kansas, you have learned that the Kansas Board of Cosmetology has minimum requirements that schools must provide. Hays Academy takes it several steps further by partnering with some of the top names in the industry. Of course we could “create” our own programs and pass those along, however we feel that our premiere industry partners allow us to be a step above, and in most cases, for less money!
4. Career Readiness: It is important that when you graduate you are as ready for the field as possible. Lets be honest, 1500 hours(Kansas Requirement) is only so much, so it is important to make the most of it. What will the school you choose do to help you become career ready? Again, you will have to do your research here. Interview salon owners who have hired graduates from the school you are looking into. Talk to graduates themselves and hear how they felt about being career ready!
5. Community: Lets be honest, at the end of the day you will essentially be living here for the next year of your life. Think ahead, where do you want to be when you hit the salon? Don’t just base this decision on the night life, but look beyond that. Is the community safe, how’s traffic, is the housing affordable? You need to make a list of questions you want answered but in the end, feel good about the community and look for ways to be involved in that community!
There you have it! Choosing the right cosmetology school doesn’t have to be stressful. Feel good about the school you choose and make the most of your experience.