December 11, 2023
Embarking on a career in cosmetology can be an exciting and rewarding journey that allows individuals to express their creativity while helping others look and feel their best. The beauty and personal care industry is expected to grow at an average annual rate of 3.32% each year from 2023 to 2028. The public cares about their individual appearance and hygiene, and they are happy to pay people who know what they are doing to help reveal their most attractive selves. Given this, you might find yourself curious about how long it takes to become a cosmetologist in Kansas. In this blog, we’ll answer that question!
State-Specific Cosmetology Education
Every state gets to set its own educational requirements to become a board-certified cosmologist. Understanding the minimum requirements that must be met within your own state is incredibly important to set yourself off on the right path to accomplish your dreams. Those seeking to become a cosmetologist in Kansas should spend their time researching the Kansas-specific requirements to reach this goal. They also ought to ensure that any beauty school that they choose to attend is capable of helping them meet the Kansas-specific minimum requirements.
Kansas Cosmetology Education Requirements
At present, the state of Kansas requires a total of 1,500 hours of cosmetology training to become a board-certified cosmetologist within the state. There is an even more detailed breakdown of how many hours must be spent on different aspects of cosmetology provided by the state. The breakdown looks something like this:
- Scientific Concepts – 115 hours
- Physical Services – 400 hours
- Chemical Services – 450 hours
- Hair Designing – 360 hours
- Business Practices – 75 hours
- State Law – 50 hours
- Student Specific Needs – 50 hours
These are very defined minimums that are meant to guide cosmetology students to study the information that they will need to know to be successful at their jobs in the industry.
Choosing the Right Cosmetology School
Selecting a cosmetology school that can help you gain the education you need starts with considering which schools can help you meet the minimum necessary requirements to reach the minimum standards set up by the state of Kansas. This means that you should look for an accredited beauty school that has a track record of assisting students in reaching their goals within the industry.
On top of checking on the accreditation of the schools you are considering, you should also look into the quality of the education provided by those schools. This means scheduling a tour of the school to examine it firsthand for yourself. You can take that opportunity to ask any questions that you might have and get a better sense of what the school is all about for you. Speak with current students and professors to get their take on the quality of the education that you can receive from that facility. Take notes on everything that you learn and compile a list of pros and cons that you can refer back to when making a choice about which school you want to attend.
About Our Cosmetology Program
Our cosmetology program covers a wide array of skills and techniques, ensuring that graduates are well-equipped to meet the demands of the beauty industry.
The breakdown of the program hours includes various components:
- Classroom Instruction: Students at Hays Academy engage in classroom learning to grasp theoretical concepts. This phase introduces them to the fundamentals of cosmetology, including anatomy, chemistry, and client consultation skills.
- Hands-On Training: A significant portion of the program is dedicated to hands-on training. Students gain practical experience by working with real clients in a salon-like setting within the academy. This practical exposure is crucial for honing their skills and building confidence in their craft.
- Salon Experience: To bridge the gap between academia and the professional world, Hays Academy provides students with the opportunity to work in a real salon environment. This experience allows them to apply their knowledge in a professional setting under the guidance of experienced mentors.
After you have reached the minimum number of training hours, you must also pass the state licensing board exam. This is a requirement before you can begin to work on real clients in Kansas. The good news is that the pass rate for the Kansas State Board Cosmetology Examination is high. If you are nervous about passing this exam, you can take comfort in the fact that most who take this test ultimately pass it. You can trust that the education that you receive from an accredited beauty school in Kansas will provide you with the training and education that you require to do well on the test.
Tips for Success in Cosmetology School
Deciding to take the plunge and sign up for cosmetology school is a big deal. However, you must keep in mind that there are certain tips and strategies that you should take to find success while in school. A few things to remember include:
- You should balance your cosmetology school requirements with other commitments in your life
- Keep stress management in mind while you are in school
- Don’t forget to practice self-care while working on your education
Ready To Become A Cosmetologist?
You can join the ranks of those who have opted to work in the field of cosmetology in Kansas today. Take some time to determine which schools are right for you and study the requirements laid out by the state of Kansas. If you have questions or concerns about all of this, contact us and let us know what we can do to assist you.