May 18, 2023
Do you have a passion for creativity and art? If so, consider a career in nail technology! If you are interested in becoming a nail technician in Kansas, there are a few important steps you need to take to start your journey. While every state will have its own requirements, we’ll be going over the requirements for Kansas.
At Hays Academy of Hair Design, we offer a comprehensive nail technology program that can help you gain the knowledge, skills, and hands-on experience you need to succeed in this exciting field.
Here are some steps you can take to become a nail tech in Kansas:
Step 1: Meet the Age and Education Requirements
In Kansas, you must be at least 17 years old to apply for a nail technician license. You must also have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
Step 2: Complete a Nail Technology Program
To become a licensed nail technician in Kansas, you must complete a nail technology program that is approved by the Kansas Board of Cosmetology. At Hays Academy of Hair Design, we offer a 350-hour nail technology program that can be completed in roughly three months. We cover topics such as:
- Acrylic nails
- Natural Nail Care and Beauty
- Spa Manicures and Pedicures
- Nail Art
- Communication Skills
- Business Understanding
- Learning How To Maximize Potential
- And More!
Our program also includes hands-on training in nail care, including manicures, pedicures, artificial nail application, and nail art techniques. Our experienced instructors will provide you with the guidance and support you need to develop your skills and prepare for your licensing exam.
Step 3: Pass Your Exams
Now that you’ve graduated from your program, you can now take your exams. Candidates are required to pass both the written exams to be licensed in the State of Kansas. A passing score for each written exam is 75. Candidates scoring less than 75 on either exam must take that entire exam again.
Written Theory Exam
The written theory exam contains 100 multiple-choice questions that come from the areas listed below:
- Safety, Sanitation, & Infection Control – 40%
- Implements, Tools & Equipment – 6%
- Product Knowledge & Chemistry – 6%
- Anatomy & Physiology – 2%
- Nail Care & Services – 21%
Written Practical Exam
The written practical exam contains 125 multiple-choice questions that come from the areas listed below:
- Blood Exposure – 10%
- Safety and Sanitation – 30%
- Manicure – 12%
- Pedicure – 16%
- Nail Enhancements – 32%
Step 4: Apply for a Nail Technician License
Upon passing both exams, you’ll now need to apply for your nail tech license:
- Log into your account at www.cosmetologykansas.com
- Click “Print Practitioner Application”
- Mail the application and payment to KBOC with any additional documentation required (address and payment information found in the application)
Note: Application must be received and processed by KBOC in order to receive your license
Step 5: Renew Your License
Nail technician licenses in Kansas are valid for two years and must be renewed before the expiration date. To renew your license, you must complete a certain number of continuing education hours and pay a renewal fee. This ensures that you stay up-to-date with the latest trends and techniques in the nail care industry.
While continuing education is required for license renewal, Staying up to date with current trends and technologies in nail tech is essential for a number of reasons:
- Meeting Client Expectations: By staying up to date, you can provide your clients with the latest styles and techniques that they are looking for.
- Staying Competitive: The beauty industry is constantly evolving, and nail technicians who fail to keep up with the latest trends and technologies risk falling behind their competition.
- Professional Development: Continuing education can help you grow and develop your skills as a nail technician, which can lead to new opportunities and career advancement
Ready To Become A Nail Tech?
If you’re ready to pursue your passion of becoming a nail technician, don’t hesitate to contact us! Our nail technology program is designed to provide you with the education and hands-on training you need to succeed in this exciting field. Reach out with any questions you may have regarding your education. We can’t wait to hear from you!