April 29, 2015
When it comes to choosing a career path in cosmetology, one thing that many people focus on is whether it could lead to a meaningful career. Well, good news! It turns out that cosmetology is one of the most meaningful careers out there. You didn’t go to cosmetology school just for the experience of learning, you entered this field with the goal of gaining a career!
By utilizing the knowledge gained, you have a very solid foundation to start your journey and maintain your career. We’re going to show you how to seek the right employment that fits what you want.
Where To Look
When you first entered school at Hays Academy of Hair Design in Hays or Salina, you likely had a goal in mind on where you hoped to work. Whether you are from a small town or a larger city, there are salons that are looking for YOU! At Hays Academy of Hair Design, we seek to assist our students to find employment whenever possible. Salons over a wide area contact us with job inquiries, and we always alert students about these job opportunities as soon as possible!
We always recommend interviewing and touring the salons you have an interest in. Having visited all the salons on your list, you are better educated on which salons are suited to your interests.
The first step in finding meaningful employment is finding a place you enjoy working. You’ll have 2 options; either a commission based salon or a booth rental. Let’s talk about the two!
Advice to those seeking a commission based salon
A commission based salon is a lot more like a traditional employee/employer relationship. The salon is responsible for all client communication, including scheduling, cancellation, payment processing, etc. Here are some benefits of a commission based salon:
- Earn a more steady salary
- Avoiding the stress of running your own business
- Not needing to restock inventory
- Having a salon to fall back on for training and support
- Benefits from your employer such as health insurance and training
It is incredibly important that you find a salon that fits your own desires. Here are a few questions you can ask
- Does the salon offer continuing education?
- Will you be able to increase your commission percentage over time, or are you locked into the same percentage for the length of your time at this salon?
- How will the salon assist you in marketing yourself?
- Is the salon modernized and clean?
- Is the atmosphere of the salon environment what you are looking for?
- Do you have to sign a contract?
- Do they sell retail? If so, do you get regular bonuses based off of your retail sales?
- Of the products they sell, do you believe in them? Do you feel as though the product lines carried are practical and useful?
- Will the salon assist you in marketing yourself once you come aboard?
- Any other questions you may have regarding employment.
Advice to those seeking a booth rental
Booth rental is a lot like a tenant/landlord relationship. In this scenario, you have complete control! Running a booth can be tough, but it is possible! A salon booth means that you’re an independent business. There are certain responsibilities you’ll have:
- Marketing strategies
- Setting your own appointments
- Providing the essential tools and supplies for running the business
- Taking care of insurances
- Self-contribution of taxes
- Establishing the brand
- Setting prices for each service or product offered
Although it can be tough, the risk is often worth the reward. One of the perks of booth rental is that it offers freedom and flexibility. You have the freedom to create your own schedule and work on your own time. You can choose what you charge, so you’re in control of what you make at the end of the day. Here are some questions you can ask when considering a booth rental:
- What is the length of the contract agreement?
- When is the due date of the rental fee?
- Is the salon rental fee a flat rate or monthly sales percentage?
- Is it possible to bring personalized product lines? Or is it necessary to use the product lines promoted by the salon?
Finding Meaningful Employment
The key to finding meaningful employment is finding what works for you. As a cosmetologist, you have the flexibility to create a career that you want. The world is your oyster! An amazing thing about being in the beauty industry is that you’re impacting lives daily. You have the opportunity to directly impact your client’s self confidence. The satisfaction of helping others look and feel their best is what makes a career in cosmetology meaningful.
Ready To Get Started?
Are you ready to get started on your journey? We’d love to hear from you! Our team is always ready to help, whether you want to learn more about how to enroll, our programs, or even scheduling a salon appointment. We can’t wait to hear from you and help you along the way!